четвъртък, 9 декември 2010 г.

Original content, fan fiction and you

Well, the title is pretty self explanatory. I'm going to talk for fan fiction and original content for a bit. It's not a new topic by a long shot, but I feel the need to say something about it. First things first - I actually enjoy fan fiction. It often aids the development of a more complex and interesting world in a work that I enjoy. It's fun, it's a great pass time and is something that should be generally encouraged. When done properly that is.

Sometimes it isn't, though. For instance the all-time classic of horribleness- "My Immortal", a Harry Potter fan fic that is by far the worst thing to have ever been written (or the best trolling the world has ever seen). Bad grammar, no plot, stupid Mary Sue-ish characters, no continuity - you can find all of these and more in this horrible, horrible piece of work. And sadly a lot of other writers follow in the footsteps of this... "artist".

Granted there are a lot of good fan fic writers out there. Some really, really good ones in fact. But I see fan fiction as training at best. With it you put a limiter on yourself. You put yourself in a cage of preexisting continuity, when if they put their minds to it, they can create something splendidly original. If you can write a good story using someone else's characters then I'm pretty certain you can write a great story using your own. But I guess that's just me, since a lot of writers are, well, afraid to try out their hand at creating something themselves.

Original content sets your imagination free. It lets you create something truly yours, something you can really be proud of. Original content is valuable. And fan fiction is too. But originality should always come first, before any attempt at copying. At least that's what I think. I value original thoughts. Do you?

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар